Saturday, July 21, 2007

Culture Comfort/Confusion

Its interesting to be so close to the U.S. experiencing things that are so similar, yet happening upon things which are foreign to me. Yesterday, we spoiled ourselves and stopped for lunch at Macaroni Grille, mostly because Daniel used to work at one and he wanted to experience this version. The layout was similar, but the thing that confused us was the prices. We knew we had a lunch menu, but thought that the prices were a little high. We inquired of the waitress who said that the menu was newer, so we chalked it up to higher prices and a new menu. Only later did we realize that we were considering American rather than Canadian dollars. While the exchange rate is nearly identical, we were thrown for a loop and, after checking prices based on the exchange rate in our head, we discovered that they were nearly identical to the ones at the Mac Grille where Daniel worked. In another example, immediately after coming off the ferry on Wednesday, Daniel and I were curious about gas prices since we would be in B.C. for the next several days. We were immediately confused upon encountering several gas stations with the only possible price listed on the sign being 113.9. After much confounded thought, we decided to pull in and ask someone. We discovered that again our brains were functioning in American dollars. Not only that but the gas prices were measured in liters and not gallons. It is strange to me to be in a place so similar to the states and yet only minor apparent shifts in culture surround us. Not only so, but I realized that, while I may be more comfortable with the U.S. system of weights and measures, it makes far less sense to me than does the Metric System. Amazing how a system that is more comfortable to me confuses me more and yet the system I am less familiar with, at least in knowing how to function day to day, makes far more sense to me. I wonder how often I do this in my understanding of theology, different languages, and other places in life. In what other areas does this phenomenon occur?


Comments:
Jeremy,
I am so happy you are having this opportunity to see why we live in the Northwest! Although you are on the northern edge, this is beautiful country. Hope you and Daniel continue to have a safe trip and enjoy the sights God has provided for us to behold.
Aunt Janet
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?