Friday, December 16, 2005

Tony Jones at SBTS & Boyce

While Nick and I were at the YS Convention in Nashville, we talked with Tony Jones after the late night theology dicussion. He told us of his upcoming visit to SBTS to talk with the guys of the International Center for Youth Ministry as well as other individuals from the school. I have prayed that his reception there would be welcome with hearts open to dialogue.

According to his post, God made it so.

Though I am still at the beginning of a long road into what emergence, missionality, holism, and community look like, I am highly encouraged by the fact that some key individuals within the SBTS system are entering the conversation with such graciousness. I look forward to the ripples of this for some time to come. I pray that it will encourage true conversation about the EC and the ideas of missionality on the campus, which will ripple into our churches.

Comments:
emergent is still boring, unoriginal and for 20/30 something white people...you have no theology, i'm sorry it's a conversation...but by calling it a conversation and setting up 4 values you draw a circle in sand and set up paramenters...that is not conversation, i though emergent is a conversation...a conversation about what? God? Church? Christ? How is that conversation different than any other theological discussion?
 
Ace,

Though I see you are posting this same comment in other places (which makes me doubtful that you are seeking a response), I feel that my response would issue a respect to you that you have not extended to others. And yet what is that, but grace?

If you would truly like to sit down with this, then I am willing.

This is how some emerging conversations are at times different from "any other theological discussion."
 
Hey man, I am glad to se there are others at SBTS/Boyce who ae open to the conversation. Keep it up!

Mike
 
Jermey,
It is SO gracious of you to want to "sit-down" and talk about this. Where should we do it? Where do you live? I'd love to meet you. IT says on your blog that you live in Lexington! Perfecto, I live in Louisville. I come down there at least once a month. Do you live near the university? When can we meet. It is so refreshing to meet someone from Emergent who is willing to actually sit-down with me over a cup of coffee and just talk. Let me know

PS I'll just forget you made all those nasty assumptions about me. With the blogosphere the way it is these days, I would've reacted the same way as you. You never can tell if one is genuine or not. No worries man.
 
Ace-It is difficult to discern what true feelings are through this medium. These last few comments seem to be stinging (from each of us) and I want to apologize for any assumptions I have made. I would truly like to meet and hear your opinions on emerging trends in church and culture. Please feel free to email at nadaboutme@hotmail.com or leave me your contact info.
 
hey jeremy and ace,
i know i am a bit late to the party but i would love to get in on this chat. i'm in lexington too.
peace,
geoff
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?